“While at Prestonwood as a resident, you will experience dynamic worship, excellent ministry practice, and a myriad of service opportunities that will enhance your calling and prepare you for a lifetime of effective ministry leadership. You will also take part in a personal discipleship and mentorship program that will allow you to deepen your faith and strengthen the uniqueness and influence of your calling.” —Pastor Jack Graham
Benefits of the Residency Program
- Experience on-site practical training in ministry
- Work one-on-one with divisional minister in designated area of service
- Teach and/or lead on a regular basis
- Have the opportunity to be discipled and learn methodologies and leadership practices from seasoned ministers
- Have the privilege to disciple and invest in members of the church
- Learn from senior-level ministers at monthly resident development meetings that include free resources to help further education
- Participate in weekly resident class where residents lead in devotional and prayer, as well as a time of teaching and Q & A with influential ministry leaders and guest speakers
- Use on-site library for research and writing projects
- Opportunity to apply what is learned in the seminary classroom at the local church level
- Committed follower of Christ
- In good academic standing at a local conservative seminary or masters-level program with a biblical studies emphasis
- Within 10 years of high school graduation and has obtained undergraduate degree
- Assurance of God’s call to church ministry
- Agreement to the Resident Covenant
- Membership at Prestonwood
If you’re interested in the Residency Program, please follow these steps:
- Download the Resident Manual and thoroughly read the information.
- If you would like to apply for the Residency Program at Prestonwood, please complete the Questionnaire and Covenant online form.
- After you submit the online form, e-mail your resume and testimony to email@example.com.
If you have any questions, please call 972-820-5317 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a resident receive pay?
Yes. Prestonwood offers paid resident positions. Residents also receive a matriculation benefit each semester to assist with the cost of purchasing books and materials.
What is the length of the Residency Program?
We ask all residents to commit to a year of service. When the year is complete, we will evaluate whether an opportunity to extend the residency exists, to advance to a different ministerial role, or to launch into a like-minded church.
Where do residents live?
All residents are encouraged to live close to the church and commute to school. If a resident cannot obtain local lodging, our office keeps an active file of Prestonwood families that are available to serve as host homes. The resident is responsible for his/her own food costs.
Do you offer seminary credit?
No. However, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary offers masters-level classes in the spring and fall at Prestonwood as one of their extension sites.
What Our Residents Have Said:
“The Prestonwood Residency program gave me a biblical understanding of what it means to serve in vocational ministry, serve the people of your ministry, and serve the people you work alongside in ministry. The program emphasizes first and foremost your relationship with Jesus, and then equips and teaches you how to do day-to-day vocational ministry. The ministers pour into the residents and show appreciation for them; and the exposure to excellent resources, teaching and practical ministry experience is unparalleled!”
“The Prestonwood Residency Program has established a firm foundation of relational ministry in my life. The ministers around me, as well as the other residents in the program, have built a community of accountability and discipleship to encourage me to seek Christ in every decision, task and meeting. Regardless of the task in front of me, I’m continuously motivated through the love that God gives us to strive for excellence for the advancement of the kingdom of God. From my time here at Prestonwood, I know I’m equipped to take all that I have learned with me wherever God may call me.”
“The Prestonwood Residency Program was instrumental in my development as a leader. Discipleship from the ministers on staff molded my work ethic and deepened my passion for the local church. I am grateful for the principles I learned in stewardship, selflessness and excellence. I am grateful God led me to the Prestonwood Residency Program.”
“I can think of no greater learning experience for a seminary student to embrace than the Prestonwood Residency Program. You will learn invaluable leadership skills, gain pastoral ministry experience, and work alongside some of the greatest ministers in their field of expertise. If given the opportunity to serve in this great church and Residency Program, you must take advantage of it!” —Teaching Pastor Jarrett Stephens