Family Time: Memorizing Scripture
As a guide to help your family navigate the joys of committing God’s Word to memory together.
Memorizing verses or sections of Scripture together will bring incredible benefits to the spiritual journey of everyone in your family.
• Decide on a goal. Memorizing one verse a week or a month as a family is a great place to start.
• Set a family reward for each goal met; maybe a special place for dinner if everyone memorizes their verse.
• Choose a verse or section of verses to start with. You can do shorter verses for younger members of the family and add more verses for older family members. Play around with it and see what fits best for your family.
READY, SET… MEMORIZE!
• Pick a verse – Choose where you would like to start. Choose a topic that is relevant or take turns letting family members choose which verse they would like to memorize. Here is a list of some great verses to get you started: Ephesians 4:32, Philippians 4:13, Philippians 4:6-7, Romans 5:8, Ephesians 2:8-9, John 3:16.
• Have fun! – Make it fun and be creative. Your family can use hand motions, play games and put the verse to music.
• Write it – Write or print out that verse several times and put it in some key places where your family will see it often. Some places to consider would be the mirror, the refrigerator, and in the car.
• Say it – Begin to recite that verse or those verses several times a day as a family. As you recite the verse, it is a great time to pray and ask God to embed that verse into your hearts and your minds. Not just so you would remember the words but that you would put into practice the truth of the verse.
• Live it – When a situation arises, use opportunities to recall Scripture that you are working on and help your family see how using that Scripture can help. For example: You might be working on Ephesians 4:32 and have some sibling quarrels. When an argument comes up, go back to your verse and talk about how you can be tenderhearted and forgive each other. This helps the Scripture come to life as you use it in real-life situations.
• The Joshua Code: 52 Scripture Verses Every Believer Should Know by O. S. Hawkins
• I Can Learn the Bible: The Joshua Code for Kids by Holly Hawkins Shivers
• Seeds Family Worship from seedsfamilyworship.com
© 2014 Inkling Innovations and Lydia Randall