Dinner and a Movie
As a family activity with any age
Good conversation around the movie of your choice
- Pack a picnic dinner or order in some of your family’s favorite food.
- Rent a movie, or choose a family favorite to watch together.
- Make tickets for the movie or have the kids make their own tickets to sell. (Let them have fun deciding the cost, such as three hugs and one kiss.)
- Set up an area to eat and watch the movie together with pillows, drinks, food, popcorn, etc.
SAY: “We are going to have a special night at the movies, only a little different.”
OPTIONAL: You might want to load up in the car and drive around the block to return at your home and show them in to the fun dinner/movie theatre you have created. You can do this as a surprise for the kids or have them help and do it as a surprice for dad or another member of the family. Kids can also make drive-in cars out of large boxes. Have fun, be creative, and have a good time together.
DO: Watch the movie while you eat dinner together.
TALK: After the movie is over, spend some time talking through the following questions:
- Who is the central character? (The “hero”)
- Who or what does the main character want? (Consciously and subconsciously?)
- Who or what are the obstacles that must be overcome?
- What was the “ultimate conflict” of the drama?
- What wrong choices were made?
- What right choices were made?
- Can we learn anything from the story?
PRAY: Thank God for your meal and fun time together as a family. Pray together: “We thank You, Lord, that You have blessed us with our family. Thank You for our time together tonight. Help us to grow closer to each other and to You. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.”
© 2011 Inkling Innovations, Lydia Randall