Hungry, Hungry Thank You’s
As a Thanksgiving day activity with the children
To satisfy our hunger for joy by giving thanks
Make sure you have the following on hand:
- The game “Hungry Hungry Hippos” or
- A bunch of marbles, paper plate and spoons
- A Bible
Follow these steps for a great experience…
- Gather the children or entire family together before sitting down for the meal to enjoy a game designed to emphasize why we give thanks.
- If you own the game “Hungry Hungry Hippos” get it ready. If not, create your own version by placing about 20-30 marbles on a large paper plate and giving each player a spoon with which they will pick up the marbles.
- As the children anticipate starting the game, pause and invite the oldest child to read I Thessalonians 5:16-18…
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- Afterward, ask the following questions…
- Q: What’s God’s will for us? A: To give thanks
- Q: Why do we give thanks? A: To experience joy
- Tell the children that one of the most important ways we fill our hunger for joy is to give thanks for the blessings God has given.
- Now play several rounds of “Hungry Hungry Hippos” or “Marbles and Spoons” where the children try to gobble or pick up as many as they can. The winner is the person who has the most balls or marbles at the end of the round.
- Now, turn each child into a real “winner” by inviting them to share one thing for which they are thankful for each ball or marble they retrieved.
- Emphasize that the more thanks we give, the more our “joy tanks” fill up!
- Play as many rounds as you can until the meal is served.
- Memorize the jingle: “Giving thanks fills our tanks.”
© 2009 Inkling Innovations