Providing Adult Leadership
Everyone agrees that boys need to be around Christian men to help fully develop their personal character. But how is that going to happen if his father is not around? The boy's mother is an incalculable positive influence on her son, but she can't be the father as well. That’s where the PALs program steps in.
PALs is a Christ-centered mentoring program that uses outdoor adventures to reach boys from single parent families. PALs tries to reach these boys when they are still young and impressionable. The late Joe Perry, who founded PALs, strongly believed that if you can direct a boy down the right path now, it can have a positive influence for a lifetime.
PALs participants go on 4-6 outdoor events each year. Fatherless boys are mentored on the trips by Christian men who are trained and vetted members of Prestonwood Baptist Church. These men have gone through extensive background checks as the safety of the boys is paramount.
The purpose of the trips is to provide boys the excitement of an outdoor adventure in the context of teaching about Christian manhood.
What is a Real Man?
We emphasize four key elements in the framework of teaching boys what it means to be a R.E.A.L. man.
R - Responsibilities of Manhood (2 Timothy 3:16–17)
- To know, trust, honor, love, obey and share the Lord and His Word
- To create caring, wholesome relationships with women; this begins by teaching the boys to honor and love their mothers
- To develop personal character, focusing on honesty and integrity
- To develop a servant’s heart and a giving spirit in order to overcome selfishness
- To commit to excellence in the classroom to develop skills for a future career
E - Express Truth (1 John 3:18)
- Honoring God by understanding the importance of expressing the truth
A - Accept God’s Best (Jeremiah 29:11)
- The discipline and maturity to accept only God’s best choice in every situation
- Avoiding a life of poor choices and destruction by never accepting less than God’s best for us
L - Lead (and follow) Effectively (1 Timothy 4:12)
- Learning the principles of Christian leadership as well as effective following